A Dismal Chronicle by and large

I have put off this blog as long as I can.

The events of this past week have been nothing to envy,
I must confess.

The list has been so long and terrible,
I have not had the fortitude to write them until now.

There have been personal problems this week,
 but there have been farmore farm related problems,
and this is a chronicle of those and those alone.

We lost our electric and had to run our incubated eggs
(mentioned here) to my non-farming mother's house.
I explained they had to stay plugged in and unopened.

They were there from Friday to Tuesday evening, and then
she unplugged them. She needed to plug something in where they
were and gave the eggs no thought. Forgot totally about them
from 6:30pm until 11:30am the next day!!!

Needless to say, I was livid and sad. I had candled them 3 days
before and was thrilled all but 2 had moving chicks inside.
That was almost impossible considering they were
shipped 800 miles and were a delayed delivery.

We plugged them back in, said some sincere
prayers and have started the "Will They
Hatch" wait. I will know around the 9th!

That was a lot of money, time and potential profit
lost, if none hatch, and regardless, short of a
miracle, all that would have hatched will not
do so now.

Then we found homes for two goats that were CAE positive
from another farm and they rehomed 3 hours away,
and we drew blood to be sure they were
not pregnant, and one came back positive. That rectified
 as a huge worry for CAE positive kids being born when I had
Biotracking lab test the sample for CAE from that doe, and
she was actually negative, unlike her sister.

We had to assist in another goat birth. My farming husband was gone
helping on a horse rescue I'd arranged between an owner
on this untrained and hard to handle Arab stallion.
And while he spent 4-6 hours when counting the
drive out and back and the catching and loading of
the horse, which was a nightmare, our last
doe due to kid went into labor.

It was not too bad, but I did have to leave my oldest son watching
the small farming kids while they napped below
and go up to the barn to help. I waited about 15 minutes after
feet presented and no birth before going in and moving the
kid around some. The doe screamed, rolled and so forth, but
I was able to help her deliver a good sized FB Nubian buckling.

I am through pulling out GOAT KIDS until 2012, I believe!
Thank God! Well, some Nigerians should kid much later this
year, but they are typically good, hardy kidders.

Of course, dairy animal breeders NEVER want
male offspring. They are hard to sell for
anything but meat.  . .so although his birth
isn't ideal, he is a darling little guy and
should make a nice herdsire for someone!

The next day, we - namely farming husband -
noticed that the rescue mare was not the only
horse coughing, and not only was she
and another horse coughing, but they had
the "SNOTS" - through a process of
elimination and other horses coming
up with symptoms, we were afraid we were seeing signs of strangles. . .

The vet was out of town until Tuesday, but
we finally realized it was shipping fever. A pain but not nearly
as awful a mess as strangles! 

The next blog does highlight some NICE things going
on here at the farm, however, so stay turned!