So of the 40 eggs we sat from the hens we have here on the farm, around 30 ended up viable intially.
Through the course of incubation, about 25 remained viable.
They were due to hatch this morning, and as of now, thanks to the fluctuating temps of the Little Giant,
only 5 have hatched, no more pips. I opened it because none of the others were pipped and took the 5 that hatched out. I have eggs waiting to go in, so even though I wouldn't usually do it a this point, I candled them - no movement that I can see and they didn't look right - UGH! I don't know what changed from day 18 when they were moving and temps finally became constant and close to or at 99.5 to day 21, but it looks like they
didn't make it. Cheap bators suck. I'll leave them in until tomorrow night to be 100% sure.
We'll see. . .
Here is a photo of the babies that did hatch today
These would be a mix of
RIR/Welsummer or RIR/Barred Rock
Australorps/Barred Rock or Australorp/Welsummer
and Delware/BR or Wels
Orpington/ BR or Wels - depending on which Roo was involved
These are 14 eggs that ended up duds
On the often discussed topic of chicks, as we are, might as
well share updated photos of the Miracle (lol) chicks from
4 weeks ago or so
They are in the ugly chick stage
Here are the ones in our trusty Brinsea incubator due to hatch Sunday
They are Delawares, Welsummer, Barnevelders, Blue Laced Red Wyandottes
and Black Copper Marans
And as an end note, I was thrilled to have found this $5 egg basket
at Tractor Supply Co!
Post a Comment